top of page



Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) courses are the first main step in on-road riding. They allow you to ride a 50cc moped (at age 16) or up to 125cc scooter or bike (over 17’s only) on the road, and the CBT is the first stage in gaining your full motorbike licence.

We run CBT courses 7 days a week. Courses normally start at 8.00 am (unless you have been told otherwise when booking) and last one full day and we provide geared bikes or automatic scooters/mopeds.

Please note: The CBT course is about teaching you what you need to know to be safe on the roads, not just how to ride a bike. If you do not reach the satisfactory level of achievement, by the end of the day, then you may have to come back to complete your CBT on another day at an additional expense to yourself.

If you have never ridden a bike before, especially a geared motorcycle, then you may find it helpful to take a basic Motorcycle Introduction lesson before you sit the CBT course. 

It is essential that you obtain and understand an up to date copy of The Highway Code prior to your CBT course AND have a VALID Provisional or Full Driving Licence.

Failure to provide your licence, or your knowledge of the Highway Code is not sufficient, then your CBT will NOT go ahead and you will have to re-book at an additional expense to yourself.


Compulsory Basic Training has 5 elements:

  • Element A: introduction and eyesight check
  • Element B: practical on-site training

  • Element C: practical on-site riding

  • Element D: practical on-road training

  • Element E: practical on-road riding


You’ll move from one element to the next when your Instructor is happy you’ve:

  • learnt the theory
  • shown the practical skills to a safe basic level



When you complete Compulsory Basic Training to at least the minimum standard, you’ll get a certificate of completion – also called a Form DL196.

Your certificate of completion lets you ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc on the road with full sized L plates, front and rear, for 2 years (50cc for 16 year olds). You are NOT allowed to carry pillion passengers nor travel on Motorways/roads with Motorway restrictions (e.g. the A1(M) and the A64(M) for example).

If you haven’t passed your full motorcycle test within 2 years of gaining your CBT, you will need to take the CBT again.


Q. How old do I need to be?
A. 16 to ride up to a 50cc or 17+ to ride up to a 125cc

Q. What do I need to learn beforehand?
A. You NEED to have READ AND UNDERSTOOD an up to date copy of the Highway Code. You will be asked questions about it (road signs, road markings, rules of the road etc) and if you do not know enough then your CBT will be cancelled and you will have to pay for another one after you have learnt it.

Q. What do I need to wear?
A. Please think about your safety, you're sat on a machine:

  • Sturdy footwear, ideally with some ankle protection. If footwear has laces then they need to be double knotted and tucked out of the way.

  • A minimum of thick jeans/denim trousers on your legs, without any rips or holes, waterproofs if raining.

  • Layered clothing if cold weather, no shorts / short sleeves (even if it’s hot!), suitable jacket, waterproof if it’s raining.

  • On-road motorcycle gloves.

  • An approved, UK legal, undamaged on-road motorcycle helmet.

  • Silly as it sounds, put some socks on! We can’t allow you to ride with exposed skin.

Q. What do I need to bring?
A. On the day, you NEED to bring your Provisional/Full Driving licence, your National Insurance number, glasses or contact lenses if you require them to drive/ride as your eyesight WILL be checked, cash/card to pay any remaining balance, something to eat/drink for your lunch, although we do have limited food (sweets, chocolate, crisps, Pot Noodles etc) along with hot/cold drinks in our shop.

You also need to make sure you are physically and mentally ready for a full day of classroom/tarmac/road training.

Q. What if I don’t achieve my CBT in the day?
A. CBT is a minimum of one day's training. Some people require more training than others. If you only need to have more time on the road then that is all you will need to come back for, generally another 2 hours. If you need more training on the training area before going on the road, then your Instructor will advise on how long you will need.

Q. How else might my CBT be cancelled?
A. There are many factors why your CBT could be cancelled, things such as:

  • Smelling of alcohol/suspicion of being over the drink-drive limit…so don’t have a lot to drink the night before…ideally, leave 24 hours.

  • Smelling/suspicion of being under the influence of drugs, even prescription drugs, so check the leaflet to make sure it says safe to drive.

  • Forgetting your licence or being banned (as we check ALL licences with the DVLA).

  • If the Instructor deems you too unsafe on the training area or on the road to safely continue.

  • If the Instructor deems you too ill to continue.

  • Failing the eyesight check at the start (the law states you must be able to read a number plate from a distance of 20 metres).

  • If the weather changes for the worse i.e. heavy fog, strong winds, ice, settling snow etc. (You will still ride if it is raining).

Q. How long does my CBT certificate last?
A. It lasts 2 years from the date of issue. If you do not pass your full test within this time then you will have to resit the full CBT in 2 years.

Q. What if I lose my CBT certificate?
A. You will have to contact us for a duplicate, which you will have to pay for. It is a legal document that the Police could request, so please keep it somewhere safe, you do not need to carry it with you.

Q. I did my CBT at 16 on a 50cc, do I need to do it again to ride a 125 now I’m 17?
A. If your CBT is still valid (within 2 years of getting it) then you can automatically ride a 125cc. If you’ve never ridden a bike with clutch and gears then it is advisable to book an hour or two with us to get some training and experience with a qualified Instructor.


Please call us using the button below to check availability and to book or use the CBT Gift Voucher to purchase a gift voucher.

bottom of page